Lahti-Hollola Jukola, on 16th-17th June, 2018
the 70th Anniversary Jukola
Have an experience, take your bearings to the traces of the Ice Age!
The Jukola Relay of the year 2018 will be held in Hälvälä, Hollola, in the heart of the Päijät-Häme region. The 70th Jukola Relay and the 41st Venla Relay will take place in a magnificent landscape and in a demanding terrain. The type of the terrain, which is exceptional in southern Finland, originates in the Ice Age and supplies the Anniversary Jukola Relay with a high level.
Jukola Relay is a unique event. The world’s biggest orienteering relay has become Finland’s biggest sports event for adults. In 2015 the number of visitors was over 50.000. The event is international, there are foreign teams from over 20 countries and they make up a fifth of the participants. The event consists of two competitions. In the daytime women will decide the winner at Venla Relay and at twilight there will be the starting shot for Jukola Relay whose winners will run on the home straight at dawn. Many people follow the relays in media and there will be as many as 12,5 hours of live TV and radio broadcasts at the weekend including even international broadcasts.
There is magic in the night of Jukola. The event is unique as the world’s elite and a member of a novicelike hobby team meet at the same control points in the forest. Winning Jukola Relay is every top orienteer’s dream and that is why it brings together the world’s best orienteers and clubs year after year. Also, the number of keep-fit and business teams is increasing year by year. The participants of the event differ in various ways and numerous first-timers want to live through the experience again, either as a competitor or a spectator on the spot.
Record-Jukola as a target. The organizing clubs Lahden Suunnistajat -37 and Hollolan urheilijat -46 are expecting the event to have the biggest number of participants ever. The central location in southern Finland, good transport connections, the unique competition terrain and the clubs that have a wide experience in organizing big sports events create a setting of a high level for the Anniversary Jukola. The competition centre will be built in Hälvälä’s old airfield. There will be extensive services with high quality for the visitors. Long term planning and nearly 2000 volunters are the basis of a new record.
Jukola Relay in numbers
- 50.000 competitors during the event week
- 20.000 competitors from over 30 countries
- 2.000 volunteers
- 700 invited guests
- 150 participants of media
- 12 hours of live TV and radio broadcasts to 40 different countries
Practise orienteering on the route to Lahti-Hollola Jukola on 16th-17th June, 2018
1) Lahti-Suunnistus in Vierumäki, Heinola on 23rd-24th June, 2016
2) Hollola-Rastit in Koromäki, Tennilä, Hollola on 11th September, 2016
3) Hollola-Rastit in Tiirismaa, Hollola on 14th May, 2017
4) Pre-Jukola in Sairakkala, Hollola on 5th-6th August, 2017
5) Päijäthämäläiset iltarastit (keep-fit orienteering on Tuesdays) www.ls37.fi
6) Keep-fit orienteering of HU-46 on Sundays www.hollolanurheilijat.com
7) The training terrains of Lahti-Hollola https://jukola.com/2018/kilpailijat/harjoittelu/
Finish The 70th Jukola Relay and the 41st Venla Relay in Hälvälä, Hollola on 16th–17th June, 2018.